Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Late to the Peplum Party

More than a year and a half ago, I won a $50 gift card and a Colette pattern from Harts Fabric. Excited, I ordered 5 (!) yards of fabric and the Hawthorn pattern, fully intending to make myself a dress.  When it arrived, I chickened out and decided to try the blouse version first using some soft cotton plaid I'd bought on sale at fabricland.  

I jumped right in and things were going well; I'd finished the hard parts - the collar, the sleeve plackets, etc. but then the cuffs didn't fit properly so I abandoned it.  For 18 months.   I don't know if peplums are still in fashion nor do I really care I'm just glad to not have this still haunting me from my sewing cupboard!


I can't remember what size I made or if I made any changes other than grading to a larger size from the bust (maybe?) down.  I do remember that even with the larger size, I had to let out the seams a bit were the top joins the peplum.  That makes me think either peplums are not for me or this one hits me too low?  And now I'm thinking that the area under the bust is too loose.  

Cue awkard photos of me staring out the window because I don't know what to do with my face  . . .


And here's the only picture that I managed to take of the back.  I'm an even more difficult subject than my kids!


I like the neckline and the collar and am proud of my cuffs (although they're far from perfect!) but I'm on the fence about the top as a whole.  I think I'll reserve judgement until I try wearing it for a day or two.

(I can't see myself ever making the dress since I've come to the realization that I'm really not a dress person so I still have that 5 yards of fabric for something else.  Does the dress version really call for 5 yards??  )

Pattern: Colette Hawthorn - Free!
Fabric: Cotton Plaid - approx. $7.00
Buttons: Stash

Total: $7.00

2 comments:

  1. I know nothing about trends or peplums, but I'll say that the collar and neckline suits your perfectly. I imagine you're going to find tis very wearable. Five yards? Seriously, no wonder sewing for the kids is so appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I took it with me when we went away this weekend and happily wore it all day Saturday. I don't think the "skirt" is very flattering on me but I do really like the neckline and collar and am a sucker for 3/4 length sleeves. I'm thinking of trying it again but just extending the bodice down to make a regular button up. Wish me luck!

      Delete