Since I was paying for shipping anyway (and, it turns out, brokerage fees) I ordered a bunch of off cuts (they call them "doggie bags") from fabrics-store.com. J. was there when I opened the box and requested these three all be used for dress for her (the colours are sphinx, ceramic and meadow). Hmmm, colour blocking -- she's very on-trend.
I was inspired by the Sunshine Dress tutorial from Skirt As A Top. As that tutorial suggests, I used the Circle Skirt tutorial at MADE. However, I didn't have enough fabric to cut a full skirt from the main fabric so I made a full circle pattern, drew the radiating lines, numbered them (very important!!!) and cut the pattern instead. I had no idea how to figure out where the grainlines should be (or if that even matters on a skirt like this) so I laid the pieces any old way on the fabric to make them fit. I added 5/8" seam allowances to all the pieces so I could do French seams.
My girl is almost 7 so the itty bitty baby dress bodice suggested in the tutorial wouldn't work. Instead, I used the top from Butterick B4282, along with the tabs and covered buttons from the The Cottage Home tutorial for the Party Dress (which was a huge hit last year and is still being worn).
I was going to do the radiating lines on top as well (like the tutorial) but my hubby thought that might be over the top. I think in this case he probably was right (although it looks fantastic in the original). So instead of lining the bodice like I planned, I finished the edges with bias tape to add a bit more colour to the top.
When I tried to attach the bodice, it ended up being about an inch and a half too big for the top of the skirt. I took in each of the sides 3/4" but it still her fit well. I should have stuck with the smaller size anyway and just added length -- this pattern is quite wide.
She's very happy with it, especially since I bought her new breaded, sparkly sandals that have the same blues.