Monday, November 28, 2011

Oliver + S Backpack

I waited for months for my library to get a copy of Little Things to Sew.  In the end I broke down and bought it and I'm glad I did!  It's a great book, filled with projects I can't wait to make.   This is a variation of the penguin backpack that I made for my niece.  It will coordinate with her quilt, bag keeper and diaper and wipes case.  Hopefully my brother and his wife like this fabric, I've never actually asked them, lol!  But, really what's not to like?

The main body is Far Far Away II, the piping and lining is gabardine. It's my first time doing piping and it definately takes a few extra steps but I love how it finishes it off!

The straps are gabardine too with quilt batting inside.  My local fabric shop didn't have the right size plastic strap adjusters so I bought metal ones.  They look good but I felt the straps needed a bit of extra bulk to make sure they don't slide out.  I also added a couple of lines of stitching to make them a bit stiffer and hopefully easier for my niece to get into.

As is usual with O+S, the pattern is great.  There are lots of steps and, because of limited space in the book, less diagrams than a regular pattern but the instructions are well written so it's easy to follow.  And I think the result looks great. 

My only regret is that I chickened out of my original plan and didn't add batting to the body of the bag.  I was worried about having too many layers to stitch through but it would have made the bag less floppy. 

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Honey Blouse

I have a shirt I really like and tried to replicate myself in the summer before I realized that I don't really like drafting patterns :).  Then I saw the Honey Blouse pattern from Make It Perfect, which is not exactly the same but has the same feel.  Here's my version in Wrenly Wildfield Cobalt from Pink Chalk Fabrics:

I agree with pretty much all the points raised in this great review here (too bad I didn't read it before making my blouse!).  In particular, for the cost, I fully expected full size pattern pieces, not ones I had to piece together and trace.  Also, it really would have been nice to be given the rectangular pieces as pattern pieces rather than just as measurements so that I save on fabric. 

Mostly though I disliked the method of attaching the neck, arm and waist bands.  In the pattern the seam allowances are exposed and you are told to "machine neaten".  That's not necessary -- you can use the bands to enclose the seam allowance for a much nicer finish.  Next time!

I do really like the style and think I will wear this lots.  It does fit quite generously, though, so next time I make it I think I'll try a medium.

edited (June 2012): I've worn this a few times but have not really been pleased with the fit.  I haven't worn my second version at all (although that's partly due to the fabric).  Vogue 8581 works better for me.  I've made it in knit here and plan to try it in a woven, too.  

Ironing Board Cover

My mom asked me to make her a new cover for her ironing board, which is homemade and an odd size.  It was given to her by a boyfriend when she was 17 (what a strange gift!  I don't know the story but I really should ask her about it).   She has a hard time finding covers that aren't too big so she gave me the dimensions and I whipped one up.  Because she lives so far away, I wasn't able to try it on myself so hopefully it does actually fit.   I debated the pros and cons of piecing it but in the end decided I liked the variety of fabrics and figured that the seams shouldn't affect the function too much. 

The large scale print in the middle is MoMo Freebird from Hawthornethreads.  The others are fat quarters from I won in a Cloud 9 giveaway.  It's pictured here on my ironing board, which is a standard size.